World

UN Chief Announces 20 Million Dollar Allocation To Support Humanitarian Operation In Afghanistan

Afghanistan Crisis: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday announced an allocation of US$20 million to support humanitarian operations in Afghanistan, saying “real” officials in the war-torn country “promised” to cooperate to bring aid to the people. Is. “The people of Afghanistan need a lifeline,” Guterres told a humanitarian conference on Afghanistan in Geneva. They are facing perhaps their most dangerous time after decades of war, suffering and insecurity. Now is the time for the international community to stand by him.

Guterres announced at the global conference the allocation of US$ 20 million from the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund to support the humanitarian campaign in Afghanistan. Guterres cautioned that “events in Afghanistan are changing rapidly and time is short.” He appealed to the international community to provide a ‘lifeline to the people of Afghanistan’ and said that we should do what we can to keep their hopes alive.

Afghans are in urgent need of food, medicine, health services, safe water, sanitation and security. That’s why UN agencies and non-governmental partners appealed for US $ 60 million for this year to provide significant relief to 10 million people. Guterres told the conference that he had asked Martin Griffith, the UN’s Under-General for Humanitarian Affairs and emergency relief coordinator, to visit Kabul last week to meet with the Taliban leadership.

Griffith met with Taliban co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar and the organization’s leadership in Kabul to coordinate with authorities on humanitarian issues. “The genuine authorities have pledged to cooperate to deliver aid to the people of Afghanistan. Our staff and all aid workers should be allowed to do their important work in a safe environment,” Guterres said.